I’m sure you have noticed by now that the yard and garden is the main thing on my mind these days. I can’t help it! Even while I’m sewing I am thinking about my next project outdoors.
– We are slowly devising a plan for minimizing the huge amount of lawn we have, and replacing with native plants and food. For the past year and a half I have been using a push mower for the main lawn areas. That’s a super workout on the amount of space we have here. While I do love a great workout, I am pretty excited about a recent acquisition of an electric mower. Amazing machine!
– Our nectarine tree is about to flower for the first time. Maybe there will be a few fruits this year. Not the most likely tree to produce well on the coast, but we are giving it a try.
– Getting ready to create more potato towers. We thought we invented this idea, but then I saw pictures of something really similar from this inspiring garden show.
– I found a couple wooden frames and old windows this week, with building a simple cold frame in mind. I think we came up with an even better idea though, and will create cold frames in the place of planting for protecting seeds while they are starting, and keeping the soil warm. I think the birds have pecked out a number of the seeds I have already planted, so this will help with that as well.
– Picked up this inspiring book at the thrift store a while back, all about creating backyard cottages. We have a little outbuilding that we have always thought would make a nice studio or guest cottage. A potting shed / garden retreat / guest space sounds like the perfect little getaway-at-home.
What plans are you cookin up these days? Anything fun you’d like to share?